Others active in the SQL Server community have recently blogged about their motivations and resolutions/goals for 2010 including Andy Leonard
and Buck Woody
. Have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.
I haven't blogged in a bit - been focused on reading about/studying SQL Server while preparing for an SQL Server 2008 BI MCITP Bootcamp in Atlanta that starts in a few days. My hope is all this studying and hopefully getting the MCITP turns in a SQL Server Developer job. Been out of work for a few months. Hoping that with the holidays being over that things start to improve on the job search front.
Now to my 2010: Motivations and Resolutions:
Six years ago today I saw my mother die in a hospital ICU after a 20+ year battle with breast cancer - we had thought she was cured but in 2001 it came back with a vengeance. Within about five months after her death, I was back home taking care of my father who didn't cope well with her loss, plus he was suffering from dementia likely from Alzheimer's. Breast cancer has done a number on my family. My mother died from this damned disease. Both grandmothers suffered from it - one being killed by it. My mother's oldest sister suffered but survived from it. At least one of my mother's first cousins had it. The wife of one of my first cousins recently died from it, leaving behind my cousin and 2 kids. This is what breast cancer has done. Damned evil disease. What it might do pisses me off and scares me too.
I have two beautiful sisters and two beautiful sisters-in-law. I have eight beautiful neices (plus, one nephew who is spoiled rotten with all the attention). The newest neice is just a few months old. I have several female first cousins with several females in the next generation. Someday I might even get married and have my own girl(s). The potential for breast cancer scares the crap out of me. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Following shows my immediate family tree. Squares are guys and circles are ladies. Pink shows breast cancer. Look at all the pink circles above me. Look at all the circles to the left and right and below me. Looking at this picture you can see why I care so much about breast cancer.
We must find a cure for this damned evil disease.
My family is what motivates me.
Following are my resolutions/goals for 2010:
- Attend a SQL Server 2008 BI Bootcamp. Get SQL Server 2008 BI MCTS and MCITP.
- Get SQL Server Developer job.
- Possibly attend a SQL Server 2008 Dev Bootcamp and maybe an Admin Bootcamp.
- Get SQL Server 2008 Dev MCTS and MCITP.
- Be active in SQL Server Community on Twitter and Blog. Goal of averaging at least one blog post per week minimum.
- Keep reading/studying/learning about SQL Server and software development.
- Share what I know. Ask and answer questions.
- Attend one SQL Server conference this year.
- Lose weight. 6'7" and 390 pounds. Not good. Be less than 300 pounds by Decemember 31, 2010.
- Eat better. Eat less pizza, cheeseburgers, chips, and chocolate. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise more. At least 5 times a week. Take Blue on more walks.
Thanks for reading.